At school and college
At school and college
Children of primary or secondary school age are very open to learning about sight loss and enjoy being involved in fundraising activities.
How can Beacon work with your school ?
Blind Awareness In Schools - Beacon will talk to groups and also deliver classroom training where pupils will be able to experience and understand the implications of sight loss.
Retail - Would your school like to restore furniture to sell in Beacon’s charity shops? We can supply the furniture if you can supply the finishing touch.
Beacon 4 Print – Offers a printing service to schools, printing items such as clothing, banners, key rings, pens, posters and much more (all competitively priced).
Design - Would your school design a Beacon Christmas card to sell in our charity shops?
Crafts - Beacon run well supported Craft Fairs throughout the year. Would your school like to make and sell products? We will give you a free stall.
Entertainment - Do you have a school choir, band or orchestra? We have the stage, the lighting and the audience to perform to.
Sport - Take part in the paralympic sport of Goalball and take on Beacon’s Goalball team. A sport tailored for visually impaired players although sighted people can play too. All players must wear a blindfold.
Media - Fancy making your own radio programme? Beacon Centre for the Blind and Wolverhampton City Radio (WCR FM) have linked up to make programmes for blind and partially sighted people. Could you find a sponsor, make and produce it? Studio equipment plus full training and support will be available.
News Information Bulletins - Produce 15 minute local news and information bulletins to be played for Beacon’s day users, residents and online.
Social Media :
- Youtube – Make video production on your projects, events and news at Beacon, plus sight loss issues .
- Facebook /Twitter - Post local and national sight related news items to Beacon.
- Training – Could your school design a training course on Social Media and deliver it at Beacon.
Design Technology - Design a piece of eqiupment to help with sight loss.
Recycling Centres - Run a Recycling Centre for Beacon.
- Fabrics of any kind, menswear, ladieswear, childrenswear, bedding and household linen.
- Shoes ,handbags and accessories.
(regardless of condition)
- Books ,Toys, Games, CD’s, DVD’s, Videos
- Foreign Coins
- Used Stamps
- Aluminium drink cans
Items will be sold in Beacon’s charity shops or recycled.
Beacon Youth Club - Do you have a pupil in your school with sight loss? We can offer a free place at our unique youth club for children between the ages of 5 and 18. Transport can also be provided for a small charge (subject to availability).
Beacon 4 Work - Do you have a pupil with sight loss soon to leave school? We can offer a free service to help with job search, interview technique, bespoke IT Training, CV preparation and linking with local businesses to match clients to paid work, placements or voluntary work.
Work Experience - Offered at our centre in Sedgley plus our charity shops (places are limited).
Publicity - Through Beacon’s website or quarterly magazine and regular press releases with local media.
- Organise a Show - Talent, Dance, Battle of the Bands. Sell tickets and refreshments.
- Sponsored Shades Walk - A sponsored walk wearing Sunglasses.
- Sponsored Cycle
- Sponsored Swim
- Mufti Day - Pay £1 to go to school in your own clothes.
- Shades Day - Pay £1 go to school in your sunglasses.
- Sponsored Blind fold Day - One pupil per class, or perhaps a teacher, to be blindfolded for the day.
- School Disco - Sell tickets and refreshments.
- Fashion Show - Rework outfits or make your own clothes, sell tickets and refreshments.
- Auction - Provide your own items and ask for donations from local business. Sell tickets and refreshments.
- Beacon Copper Collection - How much can you raise from 1p and 2p coins?
Your ideas - You may have your own a great fundraising ideas!